Foundational Herbalism LIVE ONLINE Series
Time & Location
About the Event
Foundational Herbalism is an introductory LIVE ZOOM online course encompassing the fundamental principles of Traditional Western Herbalism. This program consists of a series of eight classes/eight weeks. This course is designed to cultivate relationships with medicinal flora. Classes will be recorded for those who miss a class, please drop to the bottom of the page class participation.
- Aromatic, Bitter, Mucilant and Astringent Herbs. Learning how these herbal actions can be applied to herbal uses.
- Re-engaging our sense of taste: Salty, Sweet, Sour, Bitter, and Acrid. Here we will taste herbs in forms of tea to the eating of plants to experience their actions in our bodies. Students will learn how these herbal actions, our sense of taste can be applied as part of the foundations of herbalism and in customizing herbal formulas.
- Bioregional Materia Medica: Working with flora of the Mojave, Sonoran, Colorado Deserts and flora of North America. We will focus on plants that are accessible in the herb trade along with those we can cultivate our own medicinal native gardens. Students will be sent herbs for the Herbal Tea Discovery and will be guided in preparation prior to class.
Herbal Preparations. In each class participants will learn how to prepare and use these herbs in the following preparations:
- Herbal infused oils for culinary and medicinal uses.
- Liniments, facial toners and skincare
- Acetum (herbal vinegars)
- Teas, Infusions and Decoctions, what are they and why so many differnt methods for preparing tea????
- Herbal Infused Honey
Where: Live virtual class using zoom.
Dates: June 6, 13, 20, 28, July 5, August 1, August 8, August 23 2020, 11am – 2pm and August 8, 2020 class will be held from 11am - 3pm with one 15 minute break
Cost: The Foundational Herbalism series is $450 with payment plant available. This will include the herbs for the Plant Tea Discovery. A $25 discount is applied to those living in the Morongo Basin or Low Desert communites for curbside pickup of the herbs for the course. Email or call for this discount. 760.617.9171 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will be asked to join a private Every Leaf Speaks Botanical Studies Foundational Herbalism group where links will be posted for the Zoom meetings.
- Payment plan available for with a $100 nonrefundable deposit to hold your spot. Contact us for information on this plan at 760.617.9171 | email email@example.com
We are offering a $75 discount on the course, paid in full by May 20th, 2020
If paying via PayPal please send friends and family.
You will need these items throughout the term. You will get a specific list for each class upon registration.
- One pint jar (16 ounce) clean with matching lid. Mason/ball jars can be purchased in the canning department of most stores. i.e. Michael's Craft Store, Walmart
- Two quart jars (32 ounce) clean with matching lid
- Three half pint jars (8 ounce) clean with matching lids.
- One four ounce jar clean with matching lid
- A cup or mug is required for each class.
- Pen and Paper for note taking.
- Wooden spoon or chop stick, knife, cutting board, and cloth towel.
- 4 ounces honey, preferably organic or raw.
- 32 ounces apple cider vinegar (organic)
- 1 quart organic extra virgin olive oil. If you cannot get organic get extra virgin olive oil.
- One 1.75 liter (half gallon) of 120 proof (60%) vodka or Everclear
- One 1.75 liter (half gallon) 100 proof (50%) vodka. It is imperative that you purchase these exact percentages of alcohol for the herbal lab hands-on portion for tincture and liniment making. You can source from Bevmo
- 1 ounce beeswax
- Either one of the following will be needed parchment paper, wax paper or wide mouth plastic mason/ball jar lid.
- There is an herb list for medicine making that participants will be responsible for. List will be emailed with welcome letter
Classes are non-refundable or exchanged for future classes
Class participation: Students can miss three classes out of our eight classes and be emailed a video upon request. Despite covid we are trying to make this course as TOGETHER as we possibly can and having students together will make the course more interactive and fun.
- THE SUMMER SERIES IS FULL$440$4400$0
- EARLY BIRD Pick-UP Locals only$415$4150$0